NIGHTCLUB

PALLADIUM, NYC (Manhattan) Est.1985

Palladium NYC Nightclub Address:

126 East 14th Street New York, NY 10003

DEVELOPER: Steve RubellIan SchragerPeter Gatien


Saturday, February 12, 1994…

One Night Inside Palladium, 60min, Manhattan, Saturday Night, 2.12.1994

La soirée du 1994


The Palladium was converted from a music venue into a nightclub by former Studio 54 owners Steve Rubell and Ian Schrager, and they hired Danceteria DJ Richard Sweret, DJ Patrick Anastasi and DJ Luis Martinez who saw the possibility of a much larger audience for a downtown ‘new wave music’, Euro and house music-oriented club. From its celebrity-studded opening in May 1985, through the end of the 80s, it was one of the major features on a vibrant New York club scene. The club was a mainstay on the New York club scene until it was bought out in 1997 by New York University (NYU) and demolished for a campus housing project.

Junior Vasquez‘s Arena party, held Saturday nights and Sunday mornings at Palladium between September 1996 and September 1997, was one of the most popular parties in the New York club scene at the time. Although the promoters billed Arena as “The Gay Man’s Pleasure Dome”, the party drew an eclectic mix of gay and straight from Manhattan and far beyond. Vasquez commemorated Arena in the titles of the remixes he produced that year…WIKIPEDIA

PALLADIUM, NYC Nightclub Photos: 

…The Palladium (originally called the Academy of Music) was a movie theatre, concert hall, and finally nightclub) in New York City. It was located on the south side of East 14th Street, between Irving Place and Third Avenue.

Designed by Thomas W. Lamb, it was built in 1927 across the street from the site of the original Academy of Music established by financier Moses H. Grinnell in 1852. Opened as a deluxe movie palace by movie mogul William Fox, the Academy operated as a cinema through the early 1970s.

Beginning in the 1960s, it was also utilized as a rock concert venue, particularly following the 1971 closure of the Fillmore East. It was rechristened the Palladium on September 18, 1976, with The Band live radio broadcast,[1] and continued to serve as a concert hall into the following decade.

In 1985, the Palladium was converted into a nightclub by Steve Rubell and Ian Schrager, after their success with Studio 54. Japanese architect Arata Isozaki redesigned the building’s interior for the club.[2]

In 1997, the Palladium closed and was later demolished. New York University purchased the land and built a 12-story residence hall retaining the name Palladium. The residence hall typically houses 975 undergraduate and 170 MBA students. Two floors in the basement and sub-basement are dedicated to the Palladium Athletic Facility, also known to the University community by its nickname, “Pally

The Academy of Music opened as a movie palace at 126 East 14th Street. By the 1970s it had become a music venue for rock and roll acts. Seating 3,000, it was popular with both mainstream bands and upcoming acts which could open a major bill. Many bands performed at the Palladium in the middle of large arena and stadium tours, due to the prestige of the theater and the excellent acoustics. The theater featured a highly regarded sound system that was designed and installed by Richard Long of Richard Long & Associates (RLA).

Many UK punk and new wave acts made their New York debuts at the Academy of Music, including The Clash, The Boomtown Rats, The Fall, Graham Parker & The Rumour, Rockpile, U2, Duran Duran, The Undertones, and Roxy Music. American punk bands The Ramones, Blondie, and The Cramps also played there in the late seventies. The first Clash concert in NYC took place at the Palladium on February 17, 1979 and featured The Cramps and Bo Diddley as opening acts.-[…] WIKIPEDIA

Leave a Reply